Thursday, May 10, 2012

Style on thursday

It used to all be about style, then at some point it became about movement.  Directions taken, angles forged and inertia resisted became the definition of skill.  Style was a byword.  Something that's good to have, but not what got you a sponsorship, much less a result.

So, today we look at someone who has all those things; a repetoire of great moves, and effortless style to match. 

Maassen
One of out favourite sons (yes, we'll claim him, like Dave Matthews and JRR Tolkein), Craig Anderson is one of the most envied surfers.  He's the perfect blend of old school chill and new school hack.  He makes it look so easy, so unforced, so unplanned.  And that is probably the key to it.  Just go with it.  Easier said than done.  He's got the suppleness to do it.  I think the my favourite parts to it are the way his arms just casually hang at his side - the anathema of my chopping salad, furious ninja flailing.  That and his dismounts - off his board, wave over and still looking damn cool.

via
Quiksilver

Add caption
“I do my own thing. Whatever makes me feel happy when I kick out on a wave.”  That's pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment