Monday, November 5, 2012

Tell him he's dreamin...

So, I finally scored.  Not waves mind you.  oh, no, no, sir.  Even if those did come my way, I wouldn't know what to do with them.

I scored a neat little addition to my quiver.

So while battling a cold, I need to cancel some weekend geesness, the girlfriend and I decided to do some DIY round the flat.  So, on Sunday we cruised off to the nursery to get some plants and stuff.  (You should see my drip irrigation system! quite chuffed)

We drove past Milnerton flea market, and made an unplanned handbrake turn into the parking lot.  Wow - this place is a gold mine for kitsch and shit.  To all my friends - don't expect anything but for all your birthdays for years to come.  There's some pretty good stuff in there if you know what to look for too, I'm sure. 

There's plenty of stolen stuff as well.  Like the guy selling beer glasses - c'mon... you know those have been lifted from a nearby pub.  And all the guys selling loose tools - c'maaaan... you know some handyman's appy has lifted them, or some guys cherished garage has been burgled for it.  So, don't be a fool when you're in there, but you can score some amazing goods.

So, I wasn't 2 minutes into it when my eye fell on a familar parabolic lines - you know how a surfer can spot a board nestled in someone's back seat, or spy a wave on a poster from the other side of street. 

There it was.  Not a surfboard, but a kneeboard.  Hmmm... I strolled over, had a look, mulled over it and asked the dude, "How much?"

"R200" To overseas readers, that about $22.  I stifled my laughter, thinking I should beat him down to R150 just out of principle.  It's a flea market - you have to haggle.  Just like Life of Brian.  I flip it over, looking for creases and dings, but can't find much.  The guy senses my faux wariness, and comes down to meet me. "Or R150."  Done, and just like that, I've got a new toy - for about a 10th of what it should cost.

5'8" x 23 1/2" Glen D'arcy Original.  Worth the price for the logo alone.
Summer comes, and I have a new sled.  I reckon I'll go out with fins once, and then give up and start riding the thing stand up.  It should be a blast.  Other potentials are down the line barrel shots with a gopro headcam.  or just mixing things up on a fun day at the beach.

Then we went to nursery and bought some plants and shit. You should see my drip line!

No comments:

Post a Comment