Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Shaping up

Right now, about 4 feet above my head and little off my left shoulder is an 8'3" gun gathering dust and a 9'6" longboard that's maybe a little less dusty, but I actually can't remember the last time I used it.  I may have surfed in august on a calm day at a time when all other boards were dinged and needing a fix.

But, above that are two blanks - waiting for that coarse caress to yield the shape within them.  One belongs to a mate of mine.  Well, he used to be a mate before he stood me up yesterday morning for a sea swim - because he'd been boozing the night before.  Then he set about ignoring my calls - which was probably wise, but rumour has it he was back on the sauce by midday yesterday, and who knows what state he's in now.  So, maybe the former mate's blank is also in the past tense and I have two blanks to work with now.  (and if that doesn't get a reaction...)

Well, having a blank amongst your quiver is a pretty cool feeling.  Not that I have any reference, but I can imagine it's probably a bit like having a child - you constantly wonder what they will be when they grow up.  And, unless you're Catholic or from another prolific culture, you're probably quite the  rookie at parenthood.  And so am I when it comes to shaping.  But the bonus for me is, if I cock this one up, I can just leave it in a corner and ignore it with a clear conscience.

Still, there's so much pride at stake and I have high hopes for my creation.  I've been scouring the web for design tips and it's been awesome to say the least.  Long before I've even removed a speck of foam, the shaping experience has been so rewarding.  I've learned a tremendous amount about design principles and I can't wait to apply them.  Daydreaming of perfect sessions has been replaced by daydreaming of various shape aspects...and perfect sessions on my perfectly performing board.

One of the things I came across - on The Inertia, I think - was saying how garage shapers tend to be out there on the fringe of design evolution.  They're not the guys pushing the next trend in design - we'll leave that Kelly and Dane...maybe Dane from a year or two ago, actually.  He's pretty much out there on the fringe right now.  But, they are the guys doing the crazy shit.  They're the guys who you check walking down the beach and you say - sjoh, I'd dig to give that board a go.

I'm hopefully heading that way as well.  I was surfing a spot back in winter and was wondering what board would suit it best.  It holds size - best at about 6 - 8 foot.  It's got a crazy, steep, sucking, boiling take-off.  If you've managed that then it mellows out to a few very fat, occasionally walling sections.  So, what the hell would allow the drop, but then still be fun on the soft face? 

Hopefully, my genius and inspiration will produce the goods,  But, we'll see what comes out.  The sort of board that's always being called to the principal's office and being told to stay behind after class.  The kind that hides its report card and the referee as to drag off by its collar.  The one that's always got stains on its clothes, and skin off its knees.  Or the golden child that does the dishes and gets gold stars on its forehead.

I'm not sure where that metaphor's going, so i'm just leaving it there.


No comments:

Post a Comment