Wednesday, December 14, 2011

That question that you get all the time.

It happened to me again this weekend.  That question.  That one that's just so awkward.  That one that puts you on the spot.  You can say yes or no to it.  But, in truth, you don't know what either means.  And what you think the answer is not what the inquirer wants to hear, much less what you want tell them.

The question is:  Are you a good surfer?  See; even just talking about it is awkward.  What do they want from it?  And is it even important?

So, I answered with my stock answer and then we moved swiftly along.  Then it struck me:  Do we all have a stock answer for this question?  And if not, how do we field it?  Here are a few answers from those souls unlucky enough to be in my address book.  Some you may have heard of, others are just mates, others are mates of mates:

 Dave Richards, 25, surfing for: 16 years, Occupation: Rip Curl Rep
"I try hey....” Surfing, like anything is a matter of someones opinion

More than just trying going on.  Photo: fox

 Paul Berry, 27, surfing for: 12 years, Occupation: exploration driller, traveller, author
"Well, I'm no Kelly Slater but I guess I go alright. It's something that I love to do more than anything and as such I definitely dedicate a lot of my time towards getting good at surfing. At the end of the day though it doesn't matter how good you are, it's all about how much fun you're having."

I've found this response works pretty well with the ladies as it's a little bit cocky but contains the right amount of humbleness at the same time.  Athough, even if the girl is smoking hot, as long as my mates are within earshot then there can be no such talk up.

My usual line to anyone that isn't a girl that I want to sleep with is this... "Me? Nah, I'm pretty average at it to be honest. I definitely won't be getting an invite to any comps that's for sure, and if you were to take it up you'd probably be better than me within a few months easy. It's just something that I love to do and I have so much fun doing it that I don't really worry about whether I'm good at it or not.”
Honest Paul, doing for the senoritas in Puerto

Allan Van Gysen, 29, Years surfing: take a few off 29, Occupation: Surf Photographer
"I'm a competent surfer, I can get barreled"

Um...yes.
  Allard Pierson Jurriaans, 29, Years surfing: 14, Occupation: Backpackers manager
"I am the kook man."

Kook silouette
  Iain Evans, 30, Years surfing: undisclosed, Occupation: Surf magazine editor
“Yes, I'm a reasonably good surfer, as in I have surfed some of the better waves in Southern Africa on a cooking day;  JBay, Ponta, Outer Kom, Sunset, 365, Crayfish Factory, Thermos, Skeleton Bay, New Pier, Scottburgh Pipe... not to say I can surf them well, but I don't think a surfer who isn't "good" will want any part of these waves on their day.”

 
Bart Willems, 30, Years surfing: I’m guessing around 20, Occupation: Doctor
“Its about how much I enjoy it... and luckily that is not related to how well I surf”

Frix Theron
“You start out wanting to surf better, then you want to surf more, then you want to surf more better, and when you arrive at more better you realise you just want to surf with your friends (more better...)”

Bart, Frix and friends.  Photo: Liezel Bosch
 Mieke Willems
“I can surf and I love it, it makes me bubble from the inside out.  One of the greatest things about surfing, is that no matter what level you are on, you can get stoked.  For some people it will mean being in the longest barrel they have ever been and making it out, for others it will be merely managing to stand up - resulting in similar elation.”

Stylin'
  Jazz Kuschke, 30, Years surfing: 20.  Occupation: Freelance Photojournalist
“Yeh, I consider myself a decent surfer. Not flashy, but experienced, confident and capable. I'm a super competitive person and that's always translated to my surfing. BUT…if someone had to ask me that, ask me straight out if I think I'm a good surfer, I'd never say yes. Cos faark, there are people out there (kids!) absolutely blowing up and embarrassing me everyday. So compared to them I'm not that good.”
Photo: salt free photography
       Ross Lindsay, 45, Occupation: Surf product agent/ film industry businessman
 I have competed successfully in the past but for the last 22 years I have preferred to go free surfing for maximum fun without the constraints of having to perform to the contest system.” 
Ross, still casting spray

Karl Haupt
“no...  i mean i can make it from the peak to the shoulder... but i am not a good surfer. I just enjoy the hell out of it!”

Greg bertish,  41 yrs old, Surf Travel operator, 25 yrs surfing.
“I can surf and am pretty competent in and love big waves!”
Competence: Backdooring Sunset
Andrew Black, 30, Copywriter, 15 (with gaps - forced and otherwise - but this here's a lifer)“There are the golden moments, but on the whole it ain't that pretty!”



David Clegg, tax consulant, 64 something, year surfing: 48.
I’m competent, I can look quite good on good waves but when the surf is mediocre, you can see who’s really good, and I’m not!’

Alex Daniels, rug-muncher, 29, years surfing: not enough to learn the etiquette
‘That guy’ answer of the day: “I am good when your mom feeds me biscuits.....”
There's definitely someone out of frame straightening up behind him.  And it's probably the guy who gave him a ride to the beach too. Photo: Espey
And my own answer:
"Well, I really enjoy it...so, yes...I guess..."

No comments:

Post a Comment