Thursday, April 26, 2012

Airport Envy

passport - check.  ticket - check.  hangover - check.  leaving packing till the last minute - check.  needless blog update - in progress.

So, in a few hours I will be turning the key in the door and heading off to the aewoplane.  Exciting stuff.  Airports are weird places and are ideal for people watching.  So many destinations, so many reasons to go there.  There's always such a spread of people.  Business types who are nonchalant to sullen.  Young excited kids scoping out the big machines and welcoming a distant family member with the tantalising potential of a present.  Bored chaffeurs.  Hot women going somewhere to be hot.  School sports teams suppressing their exuberance of being on tour.  Standard holiday makers, prepared yet anxious.  And surfers.

Fortunately, our brethren can be spotted easily.  Standard attire and a coffin brimming with hardware.  Awesome. I dig seeing our kind off on that rite of passage.  The palpable stoke.  The hurry and get these boards in the hold and put in that seat with a beer and get this plane in the sky on that tropical runway look they have in their eye.  I'm always jealous.  I always want to know where they're going and would love to hear if they score.  Still, there's that spiteful corner in me that wishes they will get skunked. 

Bastards.  I hope you snap every board and have to watch perfect surf go by unridden.  and malaria.
 So, yet again I'll be admitting that I'm not carrying anything sharp, while looking over wistfully at the oversized baggage counter and muttering to myself.  For the record, the forecarst for Finland, is pleasant and in the single digits, and no windslop being driven in off the Baltic.  Does this count as a skunking?  It always feels like it.

And I hope none of you score while I'm away.

1 comment: