Friday, April 20, 2012

not-so-perfect Friday

Yesterday was a sad day for many surfers in the Cape.  A vicious fatal shark attack took place at Koeel Bay, a place I know well and have spent many great sessions at.  I'm not going to say to much on it here.  I have my opinions on the sharks, on cage diving, on the Shark Men who are here doing research at the moment, but am saving those for other channels.

It's horrible news for all of us.  Death never sits easy, but in the jaws of a wild creature it strikes deep within us.  A primal fear. 

The most curious reaction has not so much been the grief, but the anger and blame.  A curious human trait we harbour.  It has to be someone's fault, least of all our own. 

I try and focus on good vibes here.  And, that should continue.  Let's hope the victim enjoyed one last great wave before going to the big reef in the sky.

via aquabumps

1 comment:

  1. Great post.

    I particularly like the intimations about blame. It helps us sort the unpindownable world into the good and the bad, protects us from the uncertainty and groundlessness of reality.

    ReplyDelete