Monday, November 14, 2011

Don't laugh

Kobi Graham, Ours
Seriously, don't laugh.

The point of Monday beatings is to have a bit of a laugh at someone elses misfortune.  And this shot fits the bill when I stumbled over it. 

Then learned that the guy broke his neck on this.  Ja, not so funny anymore.

The good news is Kobi, a lifeguard at Bondi Beach, is back in the water and stoked to be surfing again.  The story could have ended very differently, but his mates were on scene and knew what to do with him - actions that saved his life, and kept him out of a wheelchair.

I've been in the water while a guy broke his back.  I've pulled coral out of a mate's head in Indo.  We later learned his skull had shifted on his spine - a close call and luckily he came out of it with a few scars and fair sized chiro bill.  I did a First-Aid course recently where we focussed on spinal injuries.  I'm obviously going to to punt it and encourage you all to do something like it - it could make all the difference.  I will say this though:  When you're practising and you're cradling someone's head in your hands, you hope to God that you never have to do it for real. 


No comments:

Post a Comment