Monday, November 7, 2011

Drive time observations

So, it's been a pretty grim few weeks surf wise here in the fairest Cape.  More throrough readers may recall a brief whinge about a shoulder injury.  Well, that's sitll ongoing.  In fact, since I resurrected this blog - I haven't surfed.  Sis.  It's been a very, very long time between waves.  Still, no whinging - I'll break the drought this week and then hit you up with an epic story of mediocre surf and a lazy session.  Yes, there were waves this weekend, but I'd retreated to a sub-zero mountain peak - far away from tempting my fragile shoulder.

Anyway, whilst cruising through traffic this AM, I happened to pull up behind your standard late-nineties white model family car.  Roof racks, longboard on top.  Poser; was my initial reaction.  But, being a board perve, I drew up a bit closer than advised and checked out what was poking out from the gap in his board bag zip.  Intriguing...  The tail just had a bit of a different look to it.  A bit narrower, a bit more foil than expected.  Then the fin caught my eye.  Proper swept-back wide-tipped single fin.  No, no, no, my predjudicial self.  This guy is the real deal.  Then I spied the wet towel on his back window shelf.  Yes, this guy is, in actual fact, more of a surfer than your sorry dry ass.  Shame on me.

He drove straight.  I turned left.  And I was left wondering where and how he had styled it just a few minutes prior.  I was a little stoked for him.  And disappointed in myself.  The trick now, is bring that stoke home.

Good news to come - I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment