Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Calling


It was a Friday afternoon.  Everyone was still at work, but no work was being done.  There was too much else on the go.  There was a good swell arriving overnight and there would be favourable winds to meet it.  Low tide would be an hour after sunrise.  And, like I said, it was a Friday.  With the world just a few clicks on various devices away from me I got busy.

Steve wanted to party and chase tail.  As did Trev and Paul.  Not like the other two surfed anyway.  Dean was starting a big job on Monday – 7 to 7, for 7, so he wanted to party and chase tail.  James was up-country for a wedding.  Piet had to work.  Louis had something on in the morning.  You know… something on.  Other Louis was visiting family for the weekend.  Kris had committed to a party.  Tommy was surfing a comp somewhere else.  Tim had to surf somewhere tame with the lady.  Brando was still away for business.    So was Goose.  Brendan had done his knee in kiteboarding.  G was nursing a sprained foot courtesy of a skateboard.  Jack was in Indo.  Tony was babysitting.  Dane reckoned the Bokke would do better this weekend.  Of all the calls made, his would be the worst.  Ollie was training for a triathlon.  Rob had gone hiking.  Len had flown midweek to work a yacht in the Med.

So, my alarm screeched me awake earlier than a weekday.  I staggered out of bed and flicked on the kettle.  Inhaled some cereal and chucked my gear in the car.  I rolled out of the driveway and pointed my car up the coast.  

It was just me and sounds of the road.  

It was a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment