Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A voice of reason

Those of you who know me, or have read some of my work, know that I am firmly in the camp that disagrees with the notion that sharks are being conditioned by chumming and cage-diving to be more aggressive to humans.  I seem to be in the minority amongst surfers, but I'm ok with that.  I think having had a long sceptical look at the situation, I have a qualified opinion on the matter.  But, I'm not nearly as qualified as Alison Kock - head researcher at the Save Our Seas Foundation.

In this article she takes a calm look at the recent attacks and sees what we can learn about them.  It makes a pleasant change from all the venom being spat on online forums like this one.  And if you've had a look at news24 comments section - you know you really should be working if you do - then you can see even more angry, uninformed people mouthing off.  I'm not linking it, because if you want to really want to waste your time, you can do it without my help.

Do take the time to read Alison's article.  She says it better than I ever could.  The other reason you should read it is that the more you learn about about sharks, the less you fear them. 

In signing off have a look at this picture and decide on a caption for it.



Should it be: Misunderstood marine majesty moves misdirected minds or Malicious monster masticates and menaces mankind?

And i'm only doing this because its timely - more stoke from now on - promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment